Holland & Hart seeks team members possessing qualities that intersect with the firm’s core values, which include integrity, diversity, innovation, and teamwork. The firm’s deliberate approach to recruiting allows summer clerks and new attorneys to participate in complex cases in a collaborative atmosphere right away. No matter how early you are in your legal career, Holland & Hart provides all of its team members with the support and flexibility to find balance between success at their work and satisfaction in their personal lives.
Summer Clerk Program
What Is It?
A typical summer program includes 18-22 summer clerks across several offices for an eight-week internship program.
What We Look For
Well-rounded individuals who have demonstrated academic success and display motivation, maturity, creativity, interpersonal skills, and independence.
What You’ll Do
- Gain real-life law firm experience, including client exposure and observational opportunities.
- Engage in substantive, associate-level billable work assignments, research, write, and participate in legal pro bono work and community service opportunities.
Support and Training
- Personalized team including a partner mentor, a workflow supervisor, and an attorney buddy.
- Support of our experienced legal assistants and our team of outstanding business professionals at the firm.
- Three-day orientation in the Denver office:
- Meet your summer clerk colleagues.
- Learn from firm leaders, attorneys, and business professionals who participate in the training and networking events that are organized for you.
- Welcoming events and onboarding opportunities at your home office and with your practice group.
- Firm and practice group training programs and meetings on topics ranging from substantive law to law firm life.
- Educational sessions presented by Holland & Hart attorneys, business professionals, and expert guest speakers.
Social and Networking Events
Social activities and networking events are thoughtfully designed to help you get to know your colleagues and the city where you work. Though always optional, summer clerks are welcome to join any of the organized events through the summer program or other firm and practice group-specific events.
While every summer program is uniquely designed, cooking classes, sporting events, dinners/BBQs, escape rooms, karaoke, outdoor adventure days, concerts, trivia night, and painting class are just some of the social opportunities that have been enjoyed over the years.
Summer clerk compensation is based on a weekly figure equivalent to that of a first-year associate’s salary in the office in which they are working. As compensation varies by regional markets, please refer to the information we provide to NALP.
Full Summer versus Split Summer
From orientation, training, project assignments, networking opportunities, and performance reviews, we want all summer clerks to get the most of their eight-week experience. Holland & Hart prefers all summer clerks to have the same opportunities by participating in the full program.
National 1L Summer Experience Program
- Offers valuable opportunities for 1L students to gain critical, early-stage career exposure to law and business by becoming a member of a multi-disciplinary client team working on projects for a primary client.
- Involvement in strategy discussions under the direction of the Client Relationship Partner.
- Opportunity to engage with members of the client’s in-house legal team.
- Join social events and community service opportunities as part of the broader Holland & Hart summer program.
- Potential to join the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD) 1L Scholars program.
- H&H encourages participation of candidates with all backgrounds and experiences, and anyone is welcome to apply.