In October 2019, the President signed the SUPPORT for Patients and Communities Act, a portion of which is known as “Eliminating Kickbacks in Recovery Act of 2018,” or “EKRA.” EKRA, ostensibly aimed at the ongoing opioid crisis, is meant to prevent patient brokering, referrals and kickbacks related to drug recovery and substance abuse centers. EKRA’s language, however, is very broad, goes well beyond the opioid crisis, and carries significant penalties.
- Please join us as we review this recent law. We will discuss:
- Congress' intent in enacting EKRA;
- How the language of EKRA goes beyond the opioid crisis and recovery centers, including laboratories;
- The ambiguity of what might be considered a "referral" under EKRA;
- Why you may need to evaluate compliance with both EKRA and the Anti-Kickback Statute; and
- EKRA's penalty scheme
Agenda: THURSDAY, JUNE 27, 2019
12:00 - 1:00 PM MDT
Speaker: Eric Maxfield
Location: Webinar Only
Questions? Please contact Laura Squyres.