With more than 30 years of experience in complex commercial litigation, Mr. Haley helps clients to resolve their most critical disputes. His trial experience includes bet-the-company cases, defense of Clean Air Act cases, litigation related to the oil and gas industry, legal malpractice defense, intellectual property, antitrust matters, class actions, and insurance coverage disputes.
Acted as co-lead counsel defending a natural gas company against a $500,000,000 claim for fraud and breach of fiduciary duty brought by one of the largest pipeline transportation and energy storage companies in North America. After a five-week bench trial, final judgment was entered, dismissing all of plaintiff’s claims, and awarding the client $110,000,000 on its counterclaim. No appeal was taken, and the client obtained its judgment in full.
Acted as lead counsel under a joint defense agreement, representing a large pharmaceutical company. He successfully argued a motion to dismiss in a Fraud and False Claims Act case brought by the State of Utah against 17 pharmaceutical companies. The case was dismissed with prejudice.
Acted as lead trial counsel in an 11-week products liability jury trial arising from the Wilburg Mine disaster.
Obtained a dismissal of a class action brought against a regional telephone service provider by 28 Utah counties. The Utah Supreme Court unanimously upheld the dismissal.
Obtained a summary judgment dismissing all of the plaintiffs’ claims in a $225,000,000 legal malpractice claim brought by an oil and gas exploration and production company. The Utah Court of Appeals affirmed the order of dismissal.
Obtained a unanimous jury verdict of no cause of action on behalf of a global credit card company in federal court in Cincinnati, Ohio.
Represented an independent natural gas and oil exploration and production company in a Clean Air Act enforcement action against midstream assets on an Indian reservation.
Successfully prosecuted the State of Utah’s largest class action proceeding, with recoveries in excess of $106,000,000.
- Listed in Benchmark Litigation
- Recognized by his peers as one of the "Top 100" Mountain States Super Lawyers and "Top 25" Salt Lake City Super Lawyers
- Listed in Chambers USA as one of America’s leading lawyers
- Named as a 2011 BTI "Client Service All Star"
- The Best Lawyers in America® Utah "Lawyer of the Year" for Environmental Litigation (2012) and for Antitrust Litigation (2014)
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America® since 2006
- Recognized by his peers as being among the "Utah Legal Elite" for Business Litigation by Utah Business Magazine
- Recognized as the 2003 Utah "Trial Lawyer of the Year" by The American Board of Trial Advocates
- Ranked by Lawdragon as one of the country’s top 500 litigators
- Member, International Academy of Trial Lawyers
- Fellow, International Society of Barristers
- State Chair, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Member, American Board of Trial Advocates
- Member, American Bar Association
- State Chair, United States Supreme Court Historical Society
- Member, Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation
- Lifetime Member, Trout Unlimited
- Member, Utah Hibernian Society
Understanding the Laws Behind Securities Transactions
Thoughts of a Securities Practitioner
Annual ABA Survey of State Class Litigation Law
Chapter for West Publishing’s Business and Commercial Litigation in Federal Courts, Third Edition